My Teaching Practices (Potty/Diaper Changing)

Image by Myléne from Pixabay

My Feelings Changing Diapers

In my life time I have only changed one diaper. I had changed my little sister’s diaper when she was smaller. I honestly feel that changing diapers are not my favorite part, but it is something that comes when working with infants and toddlers. I f I end up working with infants and toddlers, I feel that my feelings are not going to have a negative effect on the children while changing their diapers. I might not like changing diapers, but I still will do it and make this time a time to interact with the child and talk with the child. During this time I can sing to the child, tell stories to the child and just make this routine fun for the child and easier for me. Overall, diaper changing might not be my favorite thing, but I would do anything in my power to make this time easy on the child and easy on me.

My Feelings on Toileting Accidents

Part of toilet training is having toileting accidents. Young children are prone to having toileting accidents and it is a normal part of the children life and the children’s toilet training processes. When a child has an toileting accident it is important to know that it is not the child’s fault and that this is not something punishing for. In my opinion toileting accidents are normal and there are nothing to ridicule or punish children over. Some things that I would tell the child would be “Oh you had an accident. It is okay, it can happen to everyone.” And if the child is crying I would hug the child and tell the child, “It is okay. This is something that happens to everyone. I know that you did not meant to do it and that it was an accident.” After saying this and comforting the child I will just take the correct percussions and clean up.

Things that Children Learn During Toilet Training

During toilet training the thing that I would teach children about their body would be that our bodies give us cues on how it is feeling and that it is important for us to listen do our body and do what we need to do in order to make my body feel well. During this time it is important to teach children that is important to listen to our bodies and to follow our bodies cues.