My Teaching Practices

Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay

Saying Hello and Good-bye to Parents and Children

As of now I have not been working in a school setting with children or parents so I have not had the opportunity to communicate with the parents or students. Even though I still do not have my own classroom, in the future I do plan to implement this in my class. Every day I plan to greet my students and their parents. I would do this because it will show to both the parents and the students that I care about them. By greeting the students and parents it can increase the chances of creating a relationship with both the parents and the students. On the other hand if I do not greet the parents or the students it might seem like I do not care about them and the students might not feel as safe or wanted in the classroom. Greeting the students and their parents shows to the student that they are welcomed in the classroom and that the teacher cares about them and how they feel in the classroom.

Children Crying at Drop-off

During my observation hours and during my time at field experience I have not encounter a child that cries when they are being drop-off at school. But if I do hear a child cry the crying makes me want to comfort the child and just talk to them so that they feel safe in the environment. The crying might be a sign that something might be happening to the child, and it is better for the teacher to comfort the student and make sure that the student can count on you. I will not feel differently if a child does not cry at drop-off. The reason being that not every child is the same and every child goes through different things and situations. Not every child is going to cry at drop-off and not every child is going to be calm. Some might have a harder time saying good-bye for the day.

Parents and Greetings/Good-byes

Not all parents are the same and not all parents might get along with their children’s teacher. Some reasons that some parents might not greet or say good-bye during pick-up and drop off might be because they do not have time and are in a hurry, the parents might feel shy and do not communicate that much, the parent might have had a bad day, and many more other reasons. Honestly if a parent leaves without saying good-bye I will not feel bad. I will think that they might be going through something and they might not feel like talking and I will be understanding of it. I honestly will not know how the child feels about it unless I ask them. I believe that some might feel sad and others might not. Each parent and each child is different and not every parent or child is going to be the same.

Reuniting Parents with their Children at the end of the Day

The way that I will reunite parents with their children at the end of the day at school would be depending the school that I would work at. But in the classroom I will have the children get ready to go back home and telling them that their parents can’t wait to see them and take them home. We will sing a song to say good-bye to our friends and just get them ready to go home. Some times the parents might get stressed because the child is playing or crying and they just want to pick them up and go home. I will also feel stress but I will help the children and the parents.

(The Creative Curriculum for Infants, Toddlers, & Twos: Third Edition Volume 2) (pg.6)